If you are attending an in-classroom class in our Nashville location, you must bring a laptop computer to class which meets the qualifications below. If you are attending a class Live Online, the following applies to the desktop or laptop computer you will be using to connect remotely to the class.
TEST YOUR COMPUTER RIGHT NOW to see if it's ready for class. If it passes the test, you can skip the rest of this page. You're all set. If not, read on.
For Non-Technical People:
- You must bring a laptop to class with at least a "G" Wi-Fi adapter, and it MUST be running one of these three operating systems: Windows 7, Windows Vista with at least Service Pack 1 (SP1), or Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3)
- You do not need to install any additional software on your laptop in preparation for any of our classes, and no significant changes will made to your laptop.
- You can verify that your computer will work in class by performing the connection test on this page.
For Technical People (and anyone who cares about the technical aspects of our training environment):
We employ two technologies to enable you to truly experience SharePoint hands-on.
- The first is Remote Desktop Gateway. This enables you connect to our servers, where each student has his or her own complete SharePoint Server environment to work with.
- The second is Microsoft Virtual Server (we use the latest evolution of that, which is Microsoft Hyper-V R2), which makes it possible for multiple instances of an operating system to run concurrently on the same server. This is how we can give each student his or her own Windows Server/SharePoint implementation to use. Microsoft Hyper-V is employed on our servers, not on your laptop.
Through the use of these two technologies, all of the actual processing is done on our servers, not your laptop. You are simply sending your mouse clicks and keystrokes to our server, which passes back the screen images to your laptop. So very little “laptop horsepower” is necessary. Here is the bare minimum we expect in terms of the specifications of your laptop:
- It needs to be running Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista with at least Service Pack 1 (SP1), or Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3).
- It needs to have a Wi-Fi (wireless networking) adapter (either internal or external) – 802.11g or faster and/or an Ethernet adapter. The network adapter needs to be set to pick up an IP address, and DNS server addresses, automatically (DHCP). If you don't know how to do this, we can help you with it after you arrive.
- The student needs to have local administrator rights on the laptop. (So we can disable Internet-blocking software or browser settings, if necessary.)
- It needs to be capable of running Microsoft’s Remote Desktop Connection software (previously called Terminal Server Client - this is built into Windows operating systems from XP forward.)
- Internet proxy software, VPN software, and firewall software should be disabled prior to coming to class. Anything that blocks Internet access usually also blocks the ability of the laptop to connect by Remote Desktop Gateway to our servers.
You can verify that your computer will work in class by performing the connection test on this page.
If you have any questions about whether your laptop meets our qualifications, please feel free to call us at 615-515-0210 ext 2.